[3830] CQWW CW N1UR SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 27 06:55:12 EST 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VT

  160:   63    11       32
   80:  404    18       75
   40:  673    30       99
   20:  921    16       99
   15:  718    24       95
   10:   12     6        8

Not my best outing.  About 5 hours in my 2nd radio feedline started having
an arcing problem all the way down to 100W or so.  In these conditions, the
2nd radio is critical.  So, I got demotivated pretty quickly.  The feedline
came back to life during the day as it warmed up to about 40F but then acted
up again as soon as the sun went down.  I didn't realize it would support
power until about 16Z when I tried to call a PY on 10M.

I know what I am looking for to fix it with that data.  I thought about
going out and trying to solve it but was having too much fun with the
tools I had and decided to just play it out.  Hard to do 45 hours under
such conditions at 08Z when 40M is pretty much worked out to EU (although
still
open to some areas) and JA is not happening and it seems like the VKs have
abandonded contesting.  So 42 hours was the result.

160M was really hit hard with absorption.  EU was really weak almost all the
time.  Occaisionally you would get a shift in the aurora and get a Q.  This
happened in the last 45 mins of the contest when I worked 8 EU Mults in the
best conditions of the contest (still pretty bad though).  80M was also
affected but to a lesser extent.

Never heard a Zone 1 station.  JA was quite loud on 20M Sunday night although
a run didn't work.  Interestingly zone 19 was on the noise floor while zone
25 was S9 + 10dB.  Amazing.

10M - Sad to see. I am sure I would have had more with SO2R capability.  But
I did sweep the band often to see if there was any activity to switch over to.

Antennas all worked great.  Need to get that feedline fixed and tested while
I still have easy access - just an inch or so of snow on the ground right now.

The diffeence in the assisted scores with the mult finding on CW is pretty
crazy.  I get that its better for scores but for me its just not nearly as
fun as sweeping the band and discovering every khz.  Its also not the nearly
the same skill demand as processing SO2R with no visual point and click
dimension.
I am glad people like it and use it.  Not a bad thing at all for contesting.
Just not my cup of tea.

See you in the winter 160 contests and then in ARRL DX.

73

Ed  N1UR