[3830] CQWW CW EF8A(4O3A) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 29 09:18:47 EST 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: EF8A
Operator(s): 4O3A
Station: EA8URL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: EA8URL

Club: SKY Contest Club

Comments:

The chance to go to EA8 appeared a minute before midnight but just in time to
test Power Genius XL in the hardest possible conditions.

Even though I knew EA8URE was a city station I had ambitions to make a good
score before arriving. However, when I finally came there my ambitions quickly
dispersed. Noise S9+ on 160M and 80M made these bands unusable. After the first
night I had only four 160M QSOs in my log? At sunrise I could only hear the
strongest signals on 80M. Any serious result was unreachable so I changed my
goal to testing my software toys in detail and enjoying contesting from this
side instead.

This really didn’t spoil my enjoyment.

Power Genius worked without problems. It was completely cool in dual CQ mode.
SO2R operation was comfortable. Thanks to the Windows app you can place the
amplifier somewhere on the side and forget about it. You can see how all of
this looks like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqWizeHwHU

EA8URE is a ham radio heaven. Even though it’s not the best contest location
it is one of the best and most functional clubs I had the pleasure of visiting
so far. Excellent atmosphere, enthusiasm and great hosts are the impressions we
are taking back. Marko, 4O9TTT and Nikola, YU1XDX came along with me for the
weekend and spent all their time there instead of in a hotel. A real HAM
paradise.

Big thanks to Juan and the hosts for the support and an excellent amateur radio
weekend. I am certain our friendship will continue.

73
Ranko