[3830] TxQP N4CD/M SO Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Oct 4 12:54:57 EDT 2017

Texas QSO Party

Call: N4CD/M
Operator(s): N4CD
Station: N4CD/M

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH:

  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  516     33      0  Mults = 83  Total Score = 144,462

Score includes 10,500 bonus points for working N5NA mobile in five counties and
running 10 counties in the TX panhandle.  Was headed from OK to NM and spent
the day putting out the top two rows of counties in the panhandle.  Stopped to
run the county or county line - 20 and 40m, mostly cw with a few SSB QSOs for
the county hunters.   Weather was good and the roads were good.  In places the
speed limit is 75 mph which is good because most of the roads have S9 plus 20sb
over noise with the power lines.  You need to know WHERE to stop to find a quiet
spot and I've done this run a dozen or two  or more times before as a county
hunter over the past 25 years. Do not plan to run this route 'on the run'.  You
won't hear anything but noise.  <p>

The bands were in terrible shape on Saturday - the only day I ran - - missed
many common states - worked 3 EU countries (DL, HA, SM) and KP4.   Did work HI
twice.   35 states , 2 Canadian provinces, 4 dx.  think it was 42 tx counties
which is sad seeing that there are 254 to grab.  Only caught W3DYA/m once and
K5OT/m a few times.  Got N5NA/m in more than five but we were 'too close' most
of the time.  W5CT was hard to work.  S9 plus signal and he couldn't hear me or
many others calling.  Easier to work on Sunday - for some reason - when I was in
NM and CO.  Could have used a lot more mobile activity in south TX and
elsewhere.   <p>

Had fun.   Usually am elsewhere this weekend  but it worked out OK this year.

Rig is ICOM 706 and antenna is six foot mast on trunk deck with 20/30/40m
horizontal resonators.    <p>

You can see how various mobile antennas work at the County Hunter Convention
Mobile Antenna "Bake Off" at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcVpBBgmQCs which compares different
configurations of set-ups.  Screwdrivers, hustlers and various mast lengths,
etc.   <p>

Just headed across the panhandle east to west and next day was back to running
Parks on the Air in NM and Catching a few more TX counties from NM and CO.
Probably confused a bunch of people no longer being mobile in TX.

73 de N4CD mobile