[3830] SAC SSB OH2BH(OH6KZP) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 15 12:26:36 EDT 2017

Scandinavian Activity Contest, SSB

Call: OH2BH
Operator(s): OH6KZP
Station: OH2BH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Pusula

   10:    5     4
-------------------
Total: 1091   170  Total Score = 387,940

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Now that was something else altogether, something I hope I'll never experience
again. Lady Aurora ran her own show, and all we spectators could do was to sit
tight. I thought it couldn't get any worse than the aurora-spoiled SAC SSB 2016
was, but apparently I was wrong, because this was on a still whole new level :)

Anyway, fortunately there were highlights too, like getting called on 40m LP by
W7WA on Saturday afternoon local time, and getting a few 5-banders in the log
(including two 5-band moves, tnx ES5QD and ES7GM). The VK guys were
surprisingly strong on 20m, considering the band conditions.

15m seemed to be on the verge of opening up but it never quite got there; QSOs
from almost ESP level up to S9+ were logged with rapid signal strength changes,
whereas 10m was a local QSO matter (scatter or groundwave). 80m was disturbed
between about 3750-3799 kHz by some strange strong noise, but it was still
possible to log quite a few QSOs.

I took two off-periods when I decided being on the bands wasn't worth it any
more, the first one ~23:00z-02:30z and the second one ~03:30z-05:00z. The
adrenaline flowed most fervently when my sleep-deprived eyes noticed a
(non-poisonous) long-legged spider crawling on one of the rigs...! Didn't log a
single JA on any band, and only got a handful of W/VE QSOs (I didn't really beam
that way much either because of the aurora).

Many thanks to Martti OH2BH and Leena OH2BE again for letting me use their fine
summer cottage contest station. And thanks to all who stayed on the air to keep
the contest alive, despite it being such a slog!

73
Kim OH6KZP