[3830] PaQP W1NN Single Op CW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 15 22:33:21 EDT 2017

Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op CW LP
QTH: OH

---------------------------------------
Total:  103     0       0         0  Mults = 37  Total Score = 14,022

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

This month marks the 60th anniversary of getting my ticket back in October of
1957.  My call then was KN8HVT.  To commemorate the event, I hauled out my old
Viking Ranger and Hallicrafters HQ-110C and fired them up.  Amazingly they
still work after years of just sitting there.  The RX is the original radio I
purchased in 1958 while still a Novice and has been in its box for most of the
last 50 years.  I bought the Ranger about 10 years ago from another ham but it
is identical to the one I bought in kit form right after I upgraded to a
General in 1958. Yesterday was the first time I plugged it in and I am so happy
that it works.  Boy, does that radio get warm!  It could almost provide enough
heat for the whole second floor of my house.

The PAQP was the perfect event for testing the old radios.  It took a little
getting used to hearing both sidebands in the RX - it makes the bands sound
very crowded.  It took a little getting used to zero beating each station but
after I figured out the technique, most stations could hear me.  I still have
my original Vibroplex bug but I couldn't make the CW sound very good so I sent
everything with a straight key at about 12 wpm.

Low band conditions were very good and the FRC boys really did a great job.

Thanks to everyone for a lot of fun over six decades!

73, Hal W1NN