[3830] CQWW SSB K7XC SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 29 20:48:34 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7XC
Operator(s): K7XC
Station: K7XC

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: N NV - DM09jh

  160:    3     3        2
   80:   36    10       23
   40:   43    16       27
   20:  188    28       81
   15:  156    21       45
   10:   45    10       19

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Started this one just to keep in practice on a SSB contest as my
station needs better conditions to be competitive. With a flux of
only 75 my expectations were fairly low. Fri nite began with
moderate conditions as there were no solar storms degrading
things. As time passed it was clear this would be one of those
events where "He who keeps his butt in the chair and grinds it out
will win" 15M was open to ASIA at the beginning. Within Minutes I
found VK9CI calling CQ unanswered and snagged him fairly easily
which brightened my day considerably. If it wasn't for the local
power line noise I would have done much better on the low bands.
I Went to bed around 2AM & didn't get back to the radio until Sat
afternoon. Both 15 & 20 were doing well with loud Asians rolling
in mixed w/the usual Caribbean/SA suspects holding forth. I Went
to bed around 10PM to chase the Morning path to EU on 20M which
was not great but certainly workable with some repeats of info.
Worked a 4S7 on 20M Long-path which really made me smile as its
been many years since that has happened! The best surprise of the
weekend was when 10M opened mid afternoon to SA and later the S
PAC! Worked the band hard looking for every Mult/Q I could find.
Only tried to run stations a couple of times with limited success
so almost all of the weekend was Hunt and Pounce. All in all I am
happy with the results of almost 500 Qs and several new ones on
various bands. Used An old IC-746 driving a AL-80B to 800W or so.
All Antennas Home-brew.
160M Inv L @ 30'
80M/40M Fan Inv Vee @ 38'
20M 3 ele Mono-bander @ 43'
15M 3 ele Mono-bander @ 30'
10M 4 ele Mono-bander @ 25'

See you next in SS CW!

73s de Tim - K7XC - DM09jh... sk

PS: Kudos to those still recovering from the Hurricane season and managed to
still be QRV, Thank You!