[3830] CQWW SSB N7AT(@K8IA/N7RQ) M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 29 21:55:09 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N7AT
Operator(s): K2SS K8IA KC7V N7RQ NY7N
Station: K8IA/N7RQ

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: AZ

  160:    7     4        3
   80:  215    17       41
   40:  619    29       76
   20:  631    32      100
   15: 1110    30       95
   10:  152    12       27

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

A bit of futility and a lot of fun as well.

Lost 160m within the first half hour of operating there.  A strange RF feedback
problem into the K3 audio circuit curtailed anything on topband but a few q's.
Nothing experienced like this in the 9 years of doing M/2 here. Tried a bunch
of fixes but no joy. Fun troubleshooting ahead.

This wasn't the usual M/2 we have come to expect. There was only a small amount
of time where two bands were truly productively run-able. But we can't expect
much with the deteriorating cycle.

15m was the big surprise though. Before the contest, there was no way we
predicted we would have over 1100 qso's. there. Exciting.

Some highlights;

1)Unusually fine meals by xyl Sandy N7RQ, as well as two solid 15m op shifts
too.

2) Listening to Dave K2SS run 40m JA's in Japanese brought back great memories
when I met him 40 years ago. He was doing the same at the large MM's at both
N2AA/K2GL and W2PV.

3)Mike KC7V hasn't lost his touch for digging deep and running hard. Always a
pleasure to operate with him. Great runs into Eu and JA on 40 thru 15m bands.

4) Our "younger blood", Andy NY7N shows improvement every contest and
probably had the best rate hour of the group for his 15m Eu runs both Saturday
and Sunday. Fast talking and accurate dude. Great to have him involved in our
ssb M/2 efforts

5) Me? I am a serviceable ssb op but realize that cw is really my deal. I do my
modest ssb shifts and try to stay out of the way of these ssb pros. It works.

73, Bob K8IA
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club