[3830] CQWW SSB K7HKR SOAB(A)Rookie LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 30 00:37:11 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: SOAB(A)Rookie LP
QTH: AZ

  160:    1     1        1
   80:   20     7       10
   40:   43    13       23
   20:   41    14       18
   15:   54    14       26
   10:    4     2        3

100 watts from AZ with 8-foot diameter (160, 80, 40) and 3-foot diameter (20,
15, 10) magnetic loops both centered at 15 feet high.

The goal was to end my first 12 months on the air with a 200 QSO contest.
However, only 1 QSO in the first 107 minutes of the contest and generally poor
evening conditions both nights caused me to reset my goal to 50,000 points
which I reached early in the final hour.  All search and pounce.

As usual, Europe was nearly a non-entity (pun intended) with the Caribbean and
South America providing much of the points along with Canada and Hawaii.  I was
also happy to get a dozen JA stations, some very easily.  As others have pointed
out, 15 meters was the star of the show.  My 6 stations in the lower 48 for
multipliers included my first-ever QSO on 160!  Nice to be able to work all 6
bands with patio antennas, even though the modeled efficiency on 160 is less
than 1% and that capability is mostly just a gimmick.

Otherwise, it was the usual mix of stations that I didn't think I had a chance
at that I got on the first call, alligators that needed to be 10-20 over S9 for
me to even have a chance, and everything in between.  A lot of polite and
patient operators.  Thanks for all the QSOs!