[3830] CQWW SSB NW6P(W9KKN) SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 30 01:52:14 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: NW6P
Operator(s): W9KKN
Station: NW6P

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: CA

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   18     7        9
   40:  226    25       49
   20:  470    27       90
   15:  152    21       56
   10:    6     3        5

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Special thanks to Tom (NW6P) for graciously hosting me at his exceptional
station, and Matt (WX5S) for showing me the station ropes earlier in the week.

This year's CQ World War was a few firsts for me:
- I had never operated QRO (at least in the Amateur Service, that is)
- I had never used a steerable beam.
- I had never used WriteLog for an entire contest (very used to N1MM+ at this
point)
- I was not quite acquainted with a K3 (I'm used to operating with a Flex)
- Trying to manage sleep such that I got the best results of a 48-hour contest
(I managed to stay awake for 38 of them)

...the whole thing was a bit disorienting at first, and I made a fair share of
silly mistakes, but adapted fast enough. Note, I'm still relatively new to
contesting, and for that matter, HF, so.. if you happened to hear one of them
on the air, feel free to pull me aside -- I'm here to learn.

Friday evening I was able to get a good run going with the JAs on 20m to start
things off, and when that softened, there was plenty of work to be had on 40m,
mostly with South America/Gulf/Caribbean stations and a handful of OC. I had a
bit of trouble securing a run frequency below 7200, but it was fine because the
JAs didn't really show up until around 1 am Saturday anyway and almost not at
all on Sunday (it seems like they were able to stay busy enough with Europe on
15m/20m.)

Saturday and Sunday morning both had good openings into Europe and Africa on
15m and 20m, and of course South America/Gulf/Caribbean was active almost all
day, with even some appearances on 10 meters.

Sunday afternoon I had another good 20m run going with Asia, but someone
started playing music on the frequency and jamming me out. I let it continue
for a bit, but eventually found points elsewhere...sigh.

Last year, my total score for CQWW SSB SOLP into my "confused attic
dipole" was a sad 8083, but this year thanks to Tom's station, I did a bit
better :)

73,

Bill/W9KKN