[3830] CQWW SSB N5AA(@K5NA) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 30 10:59:36 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5AA
Operator(s): K5DU K5NA K5QB WA2VYA
Station: K5NA

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Texas

  160:   29    10       19
   80:   71    17       45
   40:  164    29       73
   20:  522    34      116
   15:  990    30      112
   10:  169    14       34

We threw together a last minute multi-multi effort just before the contest. The
alert went out 24 hours before the contest to local possible operators.

The intent was to have a fun weekend with no stress and no pushing to be a
serious contender. K5QB (ex. KB9IIZ) and WA2VYA responded to come over and
operate with Susan (K5DU) and me (K5NA). We chose to do a multi-multi to avoid
restrictions from band changes and number of signals on the air at the same
time. That way anyone could sit down and operate at an open station at anytime.

After the contest started, we operated, visited with each other, completely
stopped for meals, and slept at nights. Somehow we managed to be on the air for
37 hours, more than I thought we would. But a lot of that was with only one
operator in the ham shack.

Most of the operating was done by K5QB and WA2VYA and they did a fine job. They
kept the station on the air for 37 hours and made over 2.5M. They were certainly
more serious than I was.

Susan, K5DU, did a lot of back-up operating and still managed to provide meals
and support for the effort. I did little operating and spent all day Sunday
putting up a beverage antenna to the east so I could hear and work 3C1L on 160M
after dark. (I was successful)

Maybe next year we will do a serious effort.

73, Richard - K5NA