[3830] CQWW SSB ZB2TT SOAB(A) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 30 11:22:29 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: ZB2TT
Operator(s): ZB2TT
Station: ZB2TT

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH:

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    8     3        7
   40:   70    12       38
   20:  622    17       70
   15: 1288    19       88
   10:  112    12       41
------------------------------
Total: 2100    63      244  Total Score = 878,020

Rig: IC-7300 100w (SO1R)
Antenna 20m-10m: Hex Beam @9m / 29ft (fixed north)
Antenna 40m-80m: Folded 30m Dipole (ATU needed)
Software: N1MM

A non competitive entry.

Contesting from ZB brings a lot of challenges, little space and high population
density do not help for antenna space or QRM.

Massively restricted antennas on 80m and 40m heavily affected my score, search
and pouncing was extremely difficult let alone running.

Low power and small antennas is very hard work in SSB, once a run is
established holding the frequency for any period of time proved impossible.
Once spotted running was possible but slow due to amount of repeats I needed to
send (due to adjacent stations wiping me out.)

10m - Good on Saturday afternoon into northern Europe, Scandinavia was
particularly loud. As per usual the band was open very nicely to South America
and the Caribbean. PZ5K and FY5KE where very loud for hours.

15m - Saturday great conditions all afternoon into Northern Europe. Sunday skip
was shorter around Europe and I managed my only run into North America.

20m - Only possibility on this band was running below 14.150 where the
bandwidth was slightly less contested. Band performance seemed poor and signals
seemed attenuated, for example LR and LPL where only S9, but S9++ on other
bands.

40m - Huge signals out of W/VE, however I had real problems being heard on this
band. I managed a run of around 12 QSOs on Sunday morning.

80m - Best efforts, anyone that heard has very good ears.

73 DE ZB2TT / M0TTT