[3830] CQWW SSB VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB(A)/20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 30 11:35:40 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE6WQ
Operator(s): VE6WQ
Station: VE6JY

Class: SOSB(A)/20 HP
QTH: AB

   20: 2208    37      132
Total: 2208    37      132  Total Score = 886,912

Fairly good conditions this year considering the low solar flux and the coronal
hol stream earlier in the week. JA and SE Asia were very weak all weekend. Only
a handful of JA's worked and although I saw spots for many SE Asia mults they
were just too weak. On Friday night the polar opening started very early at
0330z with lots of Middle East and deep Russian signals but only lasted a short
time. Never managed to work EX8M who had a very strong signal at times. Not much
at midnight and when I got up at 1030z the band was in excellent shape with lots
of Eu signals. Difficult to get ay Eu runs going until about 1600z so they were
not long. Saturday night very poor polar opening and not much activity heard
until about 1000z. Missed a number of good mults when the runs to US and Eu
were too good to stop and loose a freq. Never heard zone 34 or 36 and missed
ET3AA and C93PA in zone 37. Both Saturday and Sunday runs to the US were
excellent. Overall about 60% US and 40% EU QSOs.
Equipment ICOM IC-756ProII, homebrew amp. Antennas were 5x5x5x5 with the top
yagi at 200 feet. Only used one 20m stack.
As always Don was a great host making the station available, keeping me awake
in the wee hours and making sure I didn't go hungry or get dehydrated.
Looking forward to CW.