[3830] CQWW SSB VE9AA/M SOSB/20 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 30 16:17:59 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE9AA/M
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOSB/20 LP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): .25

   20:   1     1        1
Total:   1     1        1  Total Score = 1

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Radios at home are all unhooked so I decided that every time I had to go to town
this weekend I'd get on from the mobile.  I had a log page ready on the
passengers seat.
Noon Sunday presented an opportunity for me to head down the road.

When I tuned up from 14.105 all I heard was 99% Europeans, and pretty much all
with their mic gain and compressors set to '11'.  Some were well over S9....but
only a few were intelligible however.  Nope, not calling those fellas.

Aha, there is Stan ZF9CW. Nice audio. I'll give him a point. Phooey, my mic
doesn't work in the car.  Must be a broken cable at the rig's body buried under
the dash, hidden from view. It's been a couple yrs since I've done SSB from the
MINI COOPER.

Well, there goes that plan!  Tuned by some more fierce splatter boxes and when
I got to 14150.63 I heard the K3LR team calling CQ for nearly 15mins and the
fellow worked 3 or 4 stations (One was an American).  Not a rate fest to be
sure. They had nice audio too though.

So, to recap, I am NOT sorry (not even a little) I missed this groaner of a
splatterfest. (locals say condx were punk-maybe they were - no idea.)
-AND-
Every year I shake my head more and more thinking that nobody can possibly in
tieir right mind think their audio is good with everything maxxed out, yet the
amount of cr at ppy signals continue to go on and on and on.

Kudos to ZF9CW and K3LR who both sounded perfect to me.  I had the rig's
receive audio piped into the MINIs' 4-speaker stereo system, and had it up
about 3/4 volume and I bet (had it happened), I could've heard a pin drop in
either of their shacks.

dit dit

-Mike, VE9AA in NB......FT-857D, SA-680S, pencil/paper, N3ZN paddles (normally)
+ non working microphone.