[3830] CQWW SSB W7WLL SOABClassic LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 31 20:46:54 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W7WLL
Operator(s): W7WLL
Station: W7WLL

Class: SOABClassic LP
QTH: Yachats OR

  160:   0      0        0
   80:   2      2        2
   40:   2      2        2
   20:  12      5        5
   15:  30     13       14
   10:   0      0        0
------------------------------
Total:  46     22       23  Total Score = 66,792

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Just getting back after a lot of summer antenna work. Nothing is back up fully
in the air yet or requires some additional tuning so did a lot of listening. I
may be slow but I'm not very fast.

Observation - There were a large number of stations using 'recordings' to
generate contacts (to relieve the voice I assume). However, the quality and
intelligibility of many of the 'recordings' were poor, to say the least. When
the op switched to the mike and responded, both quality and intelligibility
went significantly up. Over and over, I heard answering stations asking for a
call to be repeated, sometimes more than once, or they repeated it themselves,
often in error, requiring correction by the xmitting station. It is frustrating
to have to sit and listen to a 'recording' call a couple of times to ensure it
is correct before calling. There is just no excuse for poor audio. And results
in a waste of everyone's time.

If a contest station wants to use a 'recording' on SSB it is imperative that
the using station have a thorough review of the 'recording' and settings done
by others out in the real life spectrum before utilizing it in a contest.