[3830] ARRL Sep VHF WZ1V Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 11 07:45:12 EDT 2017

ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: WZ1V
Operator(s): WZ1V
Station: WZ1V

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN31RH

  1.2:   23    12
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  261   107  Total Score = 42,586

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

Couldn't operate the entire contest, but most of the time I was on conditions
seemed poor and activity lacking. IMO these are no longer Amateur Radio
operating skill contests. They have evolved into Computer operating skill
contests, where whoever has the fastest and most computers and monitors running
and can type the fastest wins. Having to juggle between chat rooms and new
digital modes vs. actually operating radio has gotten to the point of being
ridiculous. And what's up with everyone trying to use FT8 to make local 6m
contacts? Half the time they never complete because half the people forgot to
change to contest mode for grid square exchanges. And the idea of everyone
trying to use just one frequency for this during a contest is like having a
bunch of CB radios all stuck on channel 19 jamming each other.
Another gripe - I can't understand why the League continues to condone having
the ARRL New England Convention the same weekend as the September VHF contest.
No wonder activity was so poor around here. OK I'm done ranting - for now.
Thanks to the Rovers and portable operations for providing some extra fun to an
otherwise lackluster contest.
-73, Ron WZ1V