[3830] ARRL Sep VHF VE3SMA Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 11 10:21:53 EDT 2017

ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: VE3SMA
Operator(s): VE3SMA
Station: VE3SMA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Burlington,ON
Operating Time (hrs):

    2:  40     19
  222:  10      7
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  50     26  Total Score = 1,560

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

For various reasons I couldn't rove this time around.  I operated from my new
home QTH, with no permanent VHF antennas up yet.  My gear is not optimized for
home operation, so this and the need to raise temporary antennas limited me to
two bands.  Still, it was interesting to see what could be done from a
low-altitude, very urban location.  I was surprised to be able to work more
than just locals on 222 with only 2 watts and the small beam at 12 ft., in
between buildings (including high-rise apartment blocks within a few hundred
feet to the southeast!).  I had to run back and forth between the 2m rig in the
basement and the 222 station set up on the patio.

Conditions seemed mostly pretty flat, with a bit of enhancement Sunday
evening.

144 MHz: K2 + DEMI Xvtr + B2518G - 120 Watts, 5 elements at 26 ft. (with a bit
too much coax loss)
222 MHz: HTX-100 + homebrew transverter - 2 Watts, 7 elements at 12 ft.

Hopefully, I'll be back to something more ambitious and organized by next
year.

73,
Steve VE3SMA