[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N6NB/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Sep 15 18:28:09 EDT 2017

ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: N6NB/R
Operator(s): N6NB
Station: N6NB

Class: Rover LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  452   120  Total Score = 158,040

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

As weak-signal VHF activity continues to decline in Southern California (and to
a lesser extent in Northern California), I've concentrated more and more on the
microwave bands.  That was certainly true in the recent September VHF Contest.

After working the four L.A. Basin grid squares on 11 bands (50 MHz through 24
GHz), I once again headed north alone, meeting a very dedicated group of VHF+
enthusiasts at the Kettleman City grid convergence.  On Saturday evening we
worked DM05, CM95, DM06 and CM96 on all bands through 24 GHz.  On Sunday we
went further north to work DM07 and CM97.

The real highlight for me was again having W6TV, a well-equipped multioperator
station on Bear Mountain, to work on all bands through 24 GHz.  There seem to
be at least a dozen hilltops named "Bear Mountain" in California
alone, but this one is east of Fresno at 3,500' elevation in the foothills of
the High Sierras.  It's about 90 miles from Kettleman City.  The W6TV
operators, Rob and Pat, are consistently workable around Kettleman City all the
way to 24 GHz (although this time their 5.7 GHz setup was giving them trouble
until our very last grid stop).  I worked them on 24 GHz from six different
grid squares, as did K6MI/R, I believe.  That means they qualify for VUCC on 24
GHz for one day's work--twice over.  It also means we qualify for the Central
States VHF Society's "reverse VUCC" award, which is for rovers who
work one fixed station from the requisite number of different grid squares
(five on 24 GHz).

Overall contest scores may be gradually slipping downward, but there's always
24 GHz to make this fun.

73, Wayne, N6NB