[3830] Salmon Run N8II SOMixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 18 20:39:56 EDT 2017

Washington State Salmon Run

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH: WV

  160:    0      0
   80:    9      0
   40:   26      4
   20:   66     72
   15:   12      3
   10:    0      0
----------------------------
Total:  113     79      0  Mults = 34  Total Score = 18,898

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Score includes 1000 bonus points for working W7DX who was heard on both modes
from different counties most of the party.

Conditions were certainly no picnic with noticeably poor signals from WA around
21Z Saturday and even a bit earlier on Sunday. By 2220Z, signals on 20 were
almost gone! But, thanks to some sporadic E which also provided a few IAQP
QSO's things improved with poor activity around 0015-0045Z. Most all of my
QSO's after a dinner break at 2103Z Saturday were on 40 and 80. I worked
several stations on 40 CW starting at 2351Z and by 01Z signals some stations
were loud on 40. At midnight here, 40 was deserted and WA stations were busy
working each other on 80 CW. Signals were all near the QRN level which was not
that high for this season. I did get one answer on 80 to a few CQ's. Finding
the mobiles/rovers (K7TQ and WW7D) was a very daunting task on 20 Saturday even
when signals peaked worsened by disturbed conditions. The sun has been extremely
flare prone the past 2 weeks.  15 did open well from 1945Z-2031Z, but few ops
took advantage of it which hurt their score as all day Sunday nothing was heard
from WA or even CA and they ran out of new 20M Q's.

Activity pretty much collapsed Sunday around 19Z and the mobiles were weak from
20Z onward, but they still were in there trying to make QSO's with K7TQ hitting
Pend Oreille county for my last multiplier. Finding new Q's was quite a
challenge all day, but I did have some small SSB runs and the mobiles kept
moving and were much easier to find than on Saturday thanks to lower
absorption, them sticking to the same CW frequencies, and fewer other stations
to sort through.

Thanks so much to WW7D and K7TQ for their efforts driving many miles all
weekend and they provided many mults along with a surprising number of new
mults answering my CQ's on 20 phone. WW7D found me several times on 20 phone
Sunday. But, the number of causal ops seemed way down compared to last year
when they were out in big numbers. The serious guys were all there.

Despite taking fairly generous time off, this was close to as well as I could
with the generally poor conditions with little on 15 and very early band
closings on 20. Many hours, running on 20 was just not possible or barely
possible. Thanks for all of the QSO's and most WA ops were efficient especially
on CW. I was heard pretty well.

73, Jeff