[3830] CQ WW RTTY W4AAA(KK9A) SOSB20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Sep 27 23:59:04 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: W4AAA

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs):

   20: 1590      54      96    33
-----------------------------------
Total: 1590      54      96    33  Total Score = 721,569

With the lovely summer weather and a plethora of outdoor weekend projects it can
be hard to find time for radio contesting. In fact I have been QRT for more than
six months. The CQWW RTTY contest is always fun so this was the perfect occasion
to get my back on the air. Several month ago I purchased a K-Pod for my Elecraft
K3S which was still sitting in the box just hours before the contest. I try to
make some station improvements before every contest and I thought having the
K-Pod RIT control next to the keyboard would be extremely useful for tuning off
frequency callers. It was surprisingly easy to install and operate, I even had
time to program a few simple macros. Setting up the rest of the station was
also uneventful. This is my favorite RTTY contest and even with the low Solar
flux index there was plenty of worldwide activity. 60% of the stations that I
worked were in Europe, 29% were in North America, and 9% were in Asia. The K3S
sub-receiver and K-Pod combination worked well for finding new stations and
multipliers while running on a different in band frequency. I also hunted for
new stations using a second K3S on a separate antenna system so there was no
boredom when the run rates slowed. I would like to thank everyone for the QSOs
and to my QSL manager WD9DZV for all of the work that he does with clublog,
LOtW and answering QSLs.

73,
John KK9A  - W4AAA
http://www.w4aaa.com