[3830] 144SprngSprnt N6ZE Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Apr 10 15:05:38 EDT 2018

                    144 MHz Spring Sprint

Call: N6ZE
Operator(s): N6ZE KM6MIN
Station: N6ZE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: dm04qb

Club: ventura county amateur radio society

Comments:

The Two Meter SPRINT, the first SPRINT of Spring 2018, has some of my usual
comments, but also some more unusual comments.

Because my usual Rover Buddy, WA6WDY, was unavailable: XYL's Birthday!, I
decided to enlist the support of new licensed Technician Brian, KM6MIN, to
assist with setup and to provide a bit of VHF Contesting &
"Elmering" for him.
Because we did not activate 2 or more grids, I could not enter as
"Rover", but shaded the rules a bit for "Single Operator"
(in the name of training!

I consider that activity levels were low. Only about 20% of QSOs were on SSB
while all others were on FM. I heard 1 CW station and never attempted digital
ops. (Note N7WLC QRP comments re digital ops).

Weather was great! No snow!! No wind! Ceilings & visibility unlimited,
temperature about 70F. Great Tropo enhancement was noted after sunset from our
Santa Monica Mt. (2250 ft elevation in DM04qb)from DM12, DM03, DM13, DM04
stations: most 10 watt FM stations equipped with whips pinned the S-meter, even
from San Diego. About an hour after sunset, typical enhancement to the North
brought SSB signals with S-1 to S-5 signals with QSB. We successfully completed
with WA6IKE (CM98) at 370 miles; K6MYC  (DM07), & WA6OIB (DM06).

We heard no signals to the East due to close in obstructions.

I had posted SPRINT announcements on the following reflectors: ARRL-SB Section,
Ventura Co ARS (VCARS), Conejo Valley ARC (CVARC), WSWSS, PNWVHFS, & VHF
Contesting. I did make QSOS with a few members of VCARS, CVARC, Simi Settlers
ARC.

Rig: FT-857D + 2 element M-2 yagi

I do plan to be QRV next Tuesday evening for the 222 MHz SPRINT.