[3830] MiQP K8IR/M Mobile Multi-Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Apr 22 20:18:10 EDT 2018

                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8IR/M
Operator(s): K8IR KG9GH
Station: K8IR/M

Class: Mobile Multi-Op LP
QTH: MI

   80:  261     17
   40:  376     10
--------------------
Total:  694     27  CW Mults = 71  Ph Mults = 17  Total Score = 124,520

Club: M&M ARC

Comments:

It was a nice day for a drive through Michigan.  Still plenty of snow to be seen
from last weekend's April storm in the Upper Peninsula and Northern Lower
Peninsula.

It's amazing to me how conditions are always so different between the March
Wisconsin QSO Party and the April Michigan contest.  The common factor was 20
played poorly in both.  Last month 40 was poor as well, and 80 was the place to
be.  I was pleasantly surprised to see 40 was once again the money band,
although 80 did very well after sunset. At this point of thwe cycle, it was no
surprise that 40 was too long for much in-state activity.  It was fairly slow at
the beginning, but things really picked up at sunset, with some incredible rates
on both 40 and 80 at times.  I haven't heard pileups like these for a few years
and the activity seemed to have recovered nicely from last year's Easter weekend
contest.  It's good to hear some old friends on the band every year. There was a
good group of stations that followed us through the day. but no one was there
nearly as often as K8RYU who appeared 27 times in the log.

As usual, a big thank you to Eric, KG9GH who provides the vehicle and expert
navigation and driving.  He also kept on me to pick up the microphone once in a
while.  Eric got us into the final county with 20 minutes to go, right on
schedule.

Thanks to all who called in.

73
Jim K8IR