[3830] FlQP N8II SOABMixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Apr 29 21:54:03 EDT 2018

                    Florida QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: WV

   40:  165     51
   20:  237    166
   15:   13      2
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  415    219  CW Mults = 66  Ph Mults = 56  Total Score = 255,966

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I had to combat some major demons, poor prop on 20 with very long skip and some
line noise loud enough to wipe out 40 and make 20 difficult on Saturday mid
afternoon to 22Z. By 19Z Saturday 20 was "going long" to FL making it
the SOUTH Florida QP. Saturday north Florida down to past Orlando was basically
gone on 20
by 20Z and it was almost as bad on Sunday with very weak signals down to Orlando
 in the 19 and 20Z hours, slightly better last hour, but still some north FL
unreadable and BRE very weak. The poor prop cost me the sweep, only had about 5
tries at NO5W/HOL and I was too weak to be heard. I endured a lot of waiting in
line and made a lot of nearly mental telepathy Q's especially on 40 (still some
noise Sunday). From the time 15 opened Sunday morning to south FL 40 was nearly
dead to FL until 20Z.

Despite all of the above, activity was so good that it seldom got boring. I
struck a better balance between running stations on 20 phone vs. pouncing on CW
mobiles and fixed stations than I had before. There were some good runs Sunday
due in part to not being able to run much Saturday after 19Z and having some
fresh meat left to call. A few times I must have been spotted with a burst of
callers. It was more satisfying finding all of the Q's on my own vs. spots.

A special thanks to all of the mobiles active. Even though I could not work them
at times, it appeared that N4CW, K4KG, KN4Y, K4OJ (multi 2!), AD4ES (M2), N4TO,
K1XX, K8MR, and N4FP mobiles all operated full time. When I found the M2's in a
new one on one band, I tried the other. A special thanks to George and Jim at
K4KG for a lot of quick QSY's for many phone mults (some CW too). Also, many
thanks to ever active despite senior years, Ed, KN4Y for several rare NFL
counties. Also, thanks to all that answered my CQ's and all that put in that
extra effort to dig out my weak signal. It helped to keep a chart of the mobiles
operating frequency, they pretty much stuck to their spot, very organized!
The results were surprisingly good thanks mostly to a very large turnout and
many miles on the road. This is my best FQP score.

73, Jeff