[3830] FlQP K1XX/M Multi-Op MobileCW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Apr 30 12:01:41 EDT 2018

                    Florida QSO Party

Call: K1XX/M
Operator(s): W1MD K1XX
Station: K1XX

Class: Multi-Op MobileCW LP
QTH: Florida

--------------------
Total:  2270    0  CW Mults = 67  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 608,092

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

After last year's antenna debacle early in the contest, Marty and I were really
looking forward to this year.  Unfortunately, Murphy partially struck again and
I owe an apology to many folks in the first 4-5 hours of the contest.  For some
reason, our often-used laptop was failing at random intervals.  Right in the
middle of a QSO, it would die.  It easily took 5-7 minutes to get back on the
air, sometimes longer as we tried to figure out the problem and some kind of
fix.  This was essentially the same setup that's been successfully used in
previous years.  Eventually I found a DC power configuration that the laptop
liked and we were off to the races.

Our early route through the Panhandle was trashed (sorry guys) and we had to
leave out several counties.  At one point we considered just stopping, but after
last year I didn't want to drive all the way home after such a short time on the
air.

Forty meters was very active and, I think, more productive than in the past.  We
  spent time listening during our drive to Pensacola on Friday.  Lots of
signals.  We decided to check & CQ on 40 at almost any time.  It seemed to
pay off at times we wouldn't have normally considered.  And, we even had a few
Qs on 15.  I think it was open more often than folks gave it credit for.

We plan to be back next year, with maybe a different route for the second day.
Lots of line noise and non-productive driving to reach Monroe have us thinking
about something different.