[3830] NAQP CW WD8DSB Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 5 09:40:39 EDT 2018

                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: WD8DSB
Operator(s): WD8DSB
Station: WD8DSB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 3:47

   20:    8     4
Total:  108    41  Total Score = 4,428

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team:

Comments:

Other commitments really limited my effort, so decided to just have a little fun
with my old HW-8 on 20 meters and my MFJ Cub (9340) on 40 meters using a small
Mosfet amp on both bands with output power of 20 watts.  Antenna was an attic
dipole fed with ladder line 27 feet above ground.  Decided early on that the
HW-8 direct conversion receiver is ill suited for contesting (due to double the
received signals), so quickly gave up on 20 meters and focused my effort on 40
meters.  The addition this year of a hi-per-mite active audio filter really made
operating much easier as the narrow 200 Hz bandwidth allowed me to tune into a
station and be within the desired stations bandwidth (normally I heard the first
time I called the station I was trying to work).  20 watts is only 1.2 S units
down from 100 watts, so the MFJ Cub with 20 watt amp was more than adequate most
of the time (never felt disadvantaged).  I will now probably buy an MFJ cub for
20 meters to improve my "little" rig contesting capabilities.  73, Don
(wd8dsb)