[3830] WAE CW VE9AA Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 12 22:13:34 EDT 2018

                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 2:05

   80:
   40:   74    67    81
   20:   74    73    42
-------------------------
Total:  148   140   123  Total Score = 35,424

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Just 2 hours. 20m 1 hour Sunday morning, and 40m, 1 hour Sunday suppertime/early
evening.

I really like this contest and I especially like the FB ops that are in EU and
that can copy CW (better than I can).

N1MM+ makes this very very easy. (K1LT are you reading this?) and the team
tweaks it a little every year for WAE to make an already great product even
better.

40m was very bizarre. I was being hearing in EU quite loud (for the Sun over the
Atlantic) and the RBN had me at 20-45dB, so I thought I'd run.

Most EU callers were 529-559 with the odd "big gun" at 5NN.  OK, no
problem.  I am running 750w and a 4-square on 40m and the RBN hears me.  The
100w guys in EU aren't loud, but I can copy a serial number from them...bring it
on.

For most of the hour I was on, I estimate every 4th or 5th caller could not copy
my serial # even after repeated attempts. (I am talking having sent it up to 20
times here.)  Eventually I had no choice but to move on.

At first I thought it maybe was just some click happy cluster users calling
everything in their band map, but then I began to wonder.

I still can't explain it.   I've been around radio for 40 yrs and still can't
recall a time when every 4th or 5th guy called me, but then couldn't copy what I
was sending.  Maybe EU QRM? Maybe Multipath, Maybe ghost meteors from the
Perseids messing with the EU fellas heads?  I dunno. One guy did say "QSB
QSB" and I never heard any QRM from or EU.  Still shaking my head.

OK, that's all from the peanut gallery.  Hard to comment much having only put in
a scrawny 2 hours.  Wish it was more, but with short summers here in VE9, I had
lots to keep me busy.

dit dit!
Radio 1 IC-7410

Antennas for Radio 1 include, but not limited to:

10m - Bent/twisted A3S on my shed ~24\\\'

15m - K3LR/K1WA (parasitic) 5el array (partially working--ice storm)

20m - Wire/Aluminum 4-square of inverted L\\\'s (Comtek)

40m - Wire 4-square in the trees (Comtek)

80m - Wire 4-square of Inverted L\\\'s in the trees (Comtek)

160m - Wire 2 element array of Inverted L\\\'s in the trees (Comtek)*currently

only 1 element in service due to some season known locally as winter and all
the wrath it brings.

Radio 2 - IC-7410 (not used!!!)

Antenna for Radio 2 is a modified ZS6BKW with an added 15m inverted Vee.

80m-6m contest bands, no 160m

N1MM+, CM-500 Mic, N3ZN paddle, SO2R+ box.

(small 550w amps used for some contests)

Thanks for the Q\\\'s

CU (all of a sudden) in the next one.

dit dit

Mike in NB, VE9AA