[3830] OhQP K1LT Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 26 11:21:35 EDT 2018

                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps

   80:  239     0
   40:  206     0
   20:  108     0
   15:    1     0
   10:    1     0
--------------------
Total:  555     0  CW Mults = 121  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 134,310

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Well that was a weird and fun Ohio QSO Party.  Since propagation at
the beginning was so bad, the mobiles spent much more time on 80
meters where I can hear them.  I have always had a hard time hearing
them on 40 meters.  Although I use a vertical to transmit on 40, I
usually receive on the Beverages.  The Beverages on 40 for short
distances don't show much directivity.

Since the mobiles were often on 80 meters, I has able to work them in
nearly every county.  Generally I missed them early, before I got into
the proper rhythm for keeping track while running.

  Mobile   Counties   Counties   QSOs   Counties
  Station  Scheduled  Worked            Missed
  K8MR     29         20         27     ASHL, CARR, FRAN, KNOX, LICK,
                                        MEDI, PICK, PORT, ROSS, TRUM
  K8O      29         21         25     ASHL, AUGL, CRAW, ERIE, HANC,
                                        HURO, RICH, WILL, WYAN
  K8RYU    9          9          10     none
  AE8M     ?          2          2      ?

It looks like K8MR optimistically scheduled ROSS and PICK but skipped
them.  While skipping them they drove through my county, so we did the
quick run through 20, 15, and 10.  It took 3 calls on 10 meters for me
to see that I forgot to switch antennas.  It also looks like Jim
missed listing WAYN when typing all those counties into the "planned
operation" page.  After working K8MR/RICH, they disappeared, and then
reappeared late in ASHL causing considerable frustration when I
couldn't work them before WAYN.  All is forgiven now.

It looks like K8O skipped WILL but maybe they cut across a corner
making it a very quick visit. I was watching for ERIE at the right
time but didn't hear ERIE either.  They snuck across WYAN without
telling me.

I missed states NM, ID, WY, AK, and NE.  I missed counties ASHL, CARR,
DARK, ERIE, FAYE, HANC, LOGA, MADI, MONR, PICK, ROSS, SHEL, WILL, and
WYAN.  Looks like we need one more ambitious mobile.  Maybe I can do
that some day in southwestern Ohio.

Overall I had more QSOs and more multipliers which is entirely
explained by working the mobiles more often.  So solar minimum does
have some bright spots.

Finally, I worked the notorious N8TFD who successfully keeps ahead of
me by 300-600 points in the year-long Grid Chase contest.  Somehow he
managed to add points Saturday during the QSO party.

Equipment: K3, P3, Alpha 8410 noisemaker, 2nd K3, Hardrock 50,
tribanders and verticals.