[3830] OhQP K8MR Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 27 07:46:48 EDT 2018

                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR K3LA
Station: K8MR

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: 25 Counties

   80:  279     30
   40:  374     44
   20:  107     17
   15:    1      0
   10:    1      0
--------------------
Total:  762     91  CW Mults = 82  Ph Mults = 31  Total Score = 182,495

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

QSOs by county, in order of first appearance.

COLU   20
STAR   33
CARR   26
TUSC   32
HARR   46
BELM   39
GUER   29
NOBL   37
MUSK   30
MORG   32
PERR   39
ATHE   39
HOCK  102
VINT   22
FAIR   48
FRAN   42
DELA   26
MORR   31
RICH   29
ASHL   24
WAYN   19
MEDI   15
SUMM   26
PORT   27
MAHO   40

Another good ride around Ohio. This year I was joined by Barney, K3LA, one of my
longest ham radio friends from back in Sharon, PA, where we grew up. As noted by
everybody else, a slow start followed by somebody turning on the 40 meter short
propagation switch around 2200Z, and ending with a major geomagnetic storm. In
spite of this it was my biggest OhQP mobile score since 2012.

We got sidetracked by a road closure in Hocking county, and proceeded to get
sufficiently lost that we ended up in Fairfield county rather than in Ross and
Pickaway as planned. The unplanned half hour there accounts for the big total,
which may be my biggest single county total in OhQP.

Most phone QSOs were moving guys from CW, plus calling a few for multipliers. We
had zero responses to our phone CQs. OM2VL was the most worked with 45 QSOs,
including six on 80M. Next most worked were KU8E (33) and K5KG (27). Most worked
state outside Ohio was Florida.

The use of 3545 as a mobile frequency worked well, as I was able to efficiently
get some daytime QSOs with other Ohio stations, which would have been impossible
on 40M given the propagation. The two high band QSOs were with K1LT, as we
passed within a mile of his QTH.

Thanks to all we worked and to all that participate. I hope to be out in the
PaQP in October, and looking way ahead, Florida next April.

73  -  Jim   K8MR