[3830] ARRL 160 VE3CV SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 2 16:05:34 EST 2018

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VE3CV
Operator(s): VE3CV
Station: VE3CV

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: EN93el
Operating Time (hrs): 16:30

Total:  QSOs = 342  Sections = 63  Countries = 25  Total Score = 67,320

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

So just before the CQWWCW I got my 3 600ft Temporary Beverage deployed across a
freshly plowed clay field.  Had to wait for -10°C (14°F) so I could geet on
the field without sinking in.  Took two days (Thurs and Friday) and all my
energy for the contest!  So I was rested and ready ready for this one.  They
worked great when the local 43 Windtowers aren't turning.  Nice flat SWR curves
on all.

So at the start on Friday night the East (90°) Beverage is def!  Total short on
the analyzer.  I had spent Friday afternoon shoveling a snow drift off my 200ft
West BOG as it was not a strong as it should be and in the process had to move
the Beverage feedline.  So Saturday morning I had to track it down before the
big rains came that night.  No, not shovel damage or voles chewing (I disturbed
a nest of 8!) but a bad F connector in a cable spice.  So I had to replace the
feedline with a new one and so out to the now muddy field I go in the big East
wind to get 'er done by 3PM (2000Z).  I did and came back with 10lb. of mud on
each boot! Ugh.  But all worked well and I'm back in business.....but no longer
rested.

OK...The Contest

So, All Search and Pounce effort to give the Beverages a workout and also to
compare reception on my 1995 FT-1000mp with a K3 loaned to me by TopBand mentor
Bill VE3CSK, after my frustration hearing during the CQWWCW on 160m.  Mostly
Windtower noise and the K3 unfortunately offered no magic bullet.  I really
liked the position and prominance of the RF Gain control on the K3 compared to
the mini-knob of the FT-1000mp.  As we all know, you have to ride the RF knob
with the Volume up high to hear the weak ones.  I heard every station on the
FT-1000mp as well as the K3, but the K3 had less receiver noise which was more
pleasant and less tiring on the ears.  My 2 cents worth.

So.....

Countries Worked
Friday Night  (Beautiful Conditions - No noise and No Wind Towers turning!)
4M
HG
SK
FM
OM
C6
TM
ZF
OL
PJ2
LY
UX1
S51
TF
CO
PE (PA)
OM
DR (DK)
LZ
9A
GM (0426Z last EU) Quit at 0630Z

Saturday Morning

XE (2) 1119Z, 1204Z

Saturday Night  2200Z Start
NO EU!!!  Rain Static and Windtowers
P4
VP2M
VP9

Th-th-th-that was all folks!  So bad I I stopped at 2330Z to setup WSJT-X
Version 2 rc5 and played in the FT8 RU Contest just see what it was all about.
Worked Joe Taylor W1JT on 80m.

OK, back to the real contest at 0140Z and worked only VP9 and PR in 1 hour!  Off
to bed. I guess I missed a good EU sunrise...Bummer.

Sunday Morning. (less noise)
On at 0940Z
Lots of new Section mults but nada countries.
Packed it in for good at 1324Z after failing to log the EWA mult.  Oh so close.
Same with KH6LC for PAC...just about until some Big Gun decided to call CQ on
his QRG without even a QRL?  This happens way too often.  All part of the fun I
guess.  Same with constant Tail Enders busting up Qs.  Patience is not in some
Contesters parlance. Finally, to all the CQers....PLEASE stop to listen through
the QSB!  What is the point of listening for 5-10 seconds between CQs on
160m......Oh, right, the QRO guys who pounce on the frequency without a QRL.
Sigh.

OK No more griping....This contest was a Blast!  Just working stations you can
barely hear on the Beverages,with your head on the bench straining to hear...as
if that will help you hear better...or maybe its just me).  Magic Band it is.

Thanks to all the Ops who pulled me out of the horrendous noise from the
Mid-West Storms.  Especially WR5O in WTX!

Until the Stew Perry TBDXC at the end of December....73 to all and to all gud
DX!

Jeff VE3CV