[3830] FT8 RUp KI6DY SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 2 21:27:38 EST 2018

                    FT8 Roundup

Call: KI6DY
Operator(s): KI6DY
Station: KI6DY

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): ~20

Total:  653  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 32  Total Score = 54,199

Raw score, to say the least.

After Friday's practice I wasn't that excited about this contest. Things were
pretty slow that night and the previous practice session was a log crash-fest
for me.

Got a late start on Saturday and found that running two radios makes this
contest alot more fun and its almost a necessity to maintain any rate. I am
positive that S&P gave me a better rate than calling CQ.

Using JT-Alert, and having my filters wide open showed me the majority of
activity on whatever bands I was on. Keeping mind to have only one transmitted
signal at a time, I just worked CQing stations as fast as I could, alternating
between the two radios. Called CQ when I ran out of stations to call, but CQing
never really produced enough rate to stop me from going back to S&P. Have
never/ever in all of my years of contesting experienced that and I'm certain it
is peculiar to this mode.

Had some minor problems with JT-ALert not flagging dupes from time to time so if
I duped you, my apologies.

Since I did not interface to N1MM, I ran the whole contest blind to the fact of
what multipliers I needed.

Things learned/observed.:

1. Its hard to bust a call.
2. Had to use WSJT-X message tab 1 to get the sent exchange into the log.
3. No one is faster than anyone else.
4. Majority of stations were worked on their calling frequency.
5. The conventions of calling CQ at 200 Hz intervals on the even cycle wasn't
followed all that strictly and I don't think it matters.

See ya in RTTY Roundup. Happy Holidays.

73 de Bob (KI6DY)