[3830] ARRL 160 K6DAJ(@N6RO) M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 2 22:24:53 EST 2018

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K6DAJ
Operator(s): K6DAJ W9KKN N6RO
Station: N6RO

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Oakley, CA

Total:  QSOs = 883  Sections = 81  Countries = 25  Total Score = 195,334

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to Ken N6RO, for hosting us at his fantastic station and sharing his Top
Band wisdom.

I (K6DAJ) did the first night, Bill (W9KKN) did the second night.

I had intended to start at 0000Z, but had bad traffic getting to Oakley. By the
time I got on at 0020, E. coast was already coming in.

Running with very good rates for first 7 hours of contest, then calmed down, but
still decent. I didn't even have to drink any coffee or do jumping jacks to stay
awake!

Second night slower, as expected, but still productive. Picked up NNY, NL, and
NE, as well as a few more countries.

PR alluded us. That and NT were the only sections that we missed.

DX conditions were ok, but not as good as the previous weekend (CQ WW). Best EU
path was first few hours of the contest. At our sunrise, beaming SW, we were
spotted in Finland, but no LP EU Qs.

Worked 33 JAs.

We heard the static crashes, but they weren't that bad out here. Saturday
morning brought a rain storm (no lightning though.)

A lot of switching between diversity receive and SO2V.  To quote Bill,
"Speaking of SO2V... it seems to be the perfect way to get someone to call
you :-) As soon as you have the other station lined up and you’re ready to
throw your call out (or have) someone will be calling into your CQ. It almost
never fails..."

K3, Alpha @ ca. 1.3 KW, Four square, SAL and E/W Beverage.

Thanks for the Qs and a great contest.