[3830] ARRL 10 WB8WKQ SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 9 19:40:25 EST 2018

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: WB8WKQ
Operator(s): WB8WKQ
Station: WB8WKQ

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: MICHIGAN
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:  160    52
  SSB:   47    22
-------------------
Total:  207    74  Total Score = 54,168

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Overall, a very fun contest.  Friday night was amazing.  Never thought ten
meters, at the bottom of the sun spot cycle, would be open till nearly midnight
here in Michigan.  Saturday was good most of the day, starting at about 10 am.
Band switched around all over the place, with short skip mixed in with working
FL/GA, the Caribbean and South America.  Then the band switched out west and was
able to work quite a few CA, AZs, a NV and a NM.  Was surprised with all the
XE's too, which was great.  Then the highlight of the weekend for me, was
hearing KH7M calling CQ by himself, and after several tries of getting my awful
callsign correct (like nearly every QSO) I confirmed the Hawaii multiplier.
Shortly afterwards, the west disappeared like someone flicked off a light
switch.  Back to hunting and pecking with S.A.  Eventually, the band pretty much
dried up around 5 or 6 pm.  Sunday, was a struggle all day, with me only making
about 40 Q's.  No real good openings, aside from South America.  Didn't think
I'd make it to 200 Q's, but finally got there in the last couple hours.  Did way
better than I did last year, so I'm reasonably happy.  My old amp doesn't
"do" 10 meters, but I think there's an easy mod for that.  As one of
my "neighbors" was commenting, HP made a big difference for him, after
he switched power categories in mid stream due to frustration.  I can relate to
the frustration, so maybe I'll try it next year on HP.  Overall, for a bottom of
the sunspot cycle on 10M, I think we got pretty lucky and it was fun.  Thanks
all for the Q's and digging me out.