[3830] RTTY WPX KM4SII SOAB Rookie LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 11 19:11:21 EST 2018

                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest

Call: KM4SII
Operator(s): KM4SII
Station: KM4SII

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Rookie
QTH: NC

Well, that was fun!

I dabbled in the RTTY RU last month for a few QSOs and got hooked on RTTY, so I
decided a full effort was needed in this contest. I got a tuner from a local ham
to try out to see if I wanted to purchase it and after seeing how it helped so
much, especially on 40m, I most certainly will be!

I was planning on doing the full 30 hours allowed, but as the sun set on
Saturday evening, something went suddenly wrong and no one was hearing me. The
way it was behaving, I though something was wrong with the rig or the digital
interface. I tried a few things, but nothing helped. The next morning, same
story. But then I remembered I had FLDIGI that could transmit RTTY in addition
to MMTY which I was using originally.

Just for giggles I tried FLDIGI instead and -- BINGO! Problem solved! I don't
know what is up with MMTY, so I'll have to look into that. But by then it was
just before noon on Sunday so I missed most of the morning on Sunday and the
whole second night (hence the low totals particularly on 80m).

So I got back into it and FLDIGI worked great, but I was not able to make as
many QSOs as I would have liked due to the significant miss in operating time.

But anyhow, it was still quite fun. I really started the contest around 3 hours
in since I watched the Olympic opening ceremonies...

It was quite a treat to be able to run a frequency quite often. I had fairly
good success with running, even with 80w, and had many DX stations call during
my runs -- something that does not usually happen on phone for me.

Conditions were great on 20m and below, but 15m was hit-or-miss and 10m was
totally dead. Very lovely 20m conditions just before the end of the contest
brought some unusually loud JA and South American stations into the log.

The highlight of the contest was working ZL4YL on 40m and 15m. I don't get to
work ZL very often!

SET-UP:
*Dipole @ 25 feet (80/40/15)
*Delta loop @ 65 feet (20/15/10)