[3830] CQ160 CW PJ2T Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 11 22:43:18 EST 2018

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): PJ2T
Station: PJ2T

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Curaçao, S.A.
Operating Time (hrs): 26:10

Total:  QSOs = 1265  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 75  Total Score = 1,677,278

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Congratulations to EF8R, CR3DX, and the other stations that scored over one
million points in this great contest.  At least 20 Multi-Op claimed scores over
1 million.  That is an incredible accomplishment, of which the participants
should take great pride.  In a typical year, only five or fewer station break
that score level.

I apologize for the late post to 3830.  There is no intent to make trouble or be
difficult on my part by the late posting.  I become tied up in some super huge
work projects immediately upon my return from PJ2T and could not write up a good
3830 posting until now.

For the ninth year, my friend and longtime top band operating partner Jeff,
K8ND/PJ2ND and I (Jim, W8WTS) operated PJ2T multi-operator in CQWW 160 CW from
the incredible station PJ2T, operated by The Caribbean Contesting Consortium,
www.pj2t.org.  The Caribbean Contesting Consortium is a radio club of world
class operators, leaders, maintainers, and builders that have created the
longest lasting, most state of the art, and most prolific contesting and DXing
destination station in the world.

K8ND and I started preparation for the contest about one week prior.  Jeff
arrived at PJ2T first and began putting together the setup of SDRs listening to
the variety of receiving antennas at PJ2T.  I arrived later, and with Jeff’s
help, deployed our DX Engineering four square receiving antenna.  We were ready
to contest well before the starting bell with no breakdowns or malfunctions to
fix.

The contest starts during full sunlight at PJ2T, so the first hours are not
particularly productive.  We listen to the European station working each other,
and the USA stations starting to nip at the Europeans, but no one is able to
hear us South Americans.  When the sun sets at PJ2T, things heat up.  The first
night of the contest was good, with two hours above 100 QSOs/hour, down from
four hours last year.  The band was quiet from 12 degrees latitude and we made
the most of it.  We worked eleven JAs, but there were no signs of VK or ZL.
Once hot Caribbean sun rises on Curacao, our signal is no longer heard, although
we can copy stations CQing in the USA for an hour or more. Our last QSO of the
first night was at 1126Z with HK3W.

After the daytime snoozing time, we got prepared for the second night of the
contest.  CQWW 160 is a mixed bag between the two nights.  One never knows which
night will be the contest winner versus which night will be the dud.  We got on
the air Saturday afternoon at 2145Z and worked DJ5MW at 2230Z for our first QSO
of the second day.

The second night of the contest was plagued with higher noise than the first
night, with more difficulty working the sometimes weak European stations.  We
dug out every callsign that we could from the USA stations in the early hours of
the second day.  Unfortunately we did not hear any VK or ZL stations in the
contest.  We take the “Never Say Die” attitude on Sunday morning, and kept
on the air until our last QSO at 1111Z with W8KA, just 12 minutes after full
sunrise on Curacao.

Ending at 2200Z, the contest ends in full daylight at PJ2T.  In spite of our
best efforts, we worked no stations on Sunday evening.  It is very frustrating
to hear the European stations working each other with enthusiasm, but at PJ2T
QSOs are impossible to make at this time.  We ended the contest with 1265 QSOs
and 134 multipliers for a final claimed score of 1,677,278.

We are proud of our score and thank everyone for their participation in the most
fun contest of the season.  We appreciate the hard work of Andy Blank, N2NT for
managing this great contest.  Thanks to everyone for their QSOs.  Again we
congratulate the top scoring entrants and look forward to more fun and great
competitive radio sport next year.

On behalf of The Caribbean Contesting Consortium, PJ2T and Jeff, K8ND/PJ2ND,

73,

Jim, PJ2/W8WTS
President
The Caribbean Contesting Consortium, PJ2T