[3830] ARRLDX CW W3HKK SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 18 20:45:29 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W3HKK
Operator(s): W3HKK
Station: W3HKK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CENTRAL OH

   10:    8     7
-------------------
Total:  564   232  Total Score = 390,456

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I always go into these contests planning to   poke around, look for new ones,
maximize mults, and use all my wire antennas on 160-10.  BUT sometimes the
propagation gets me and I wind up  running.  This time my  external keyboard
developed a bug so I couldn't use it for running.  I haven't   figured out how
to set up N1MM+ to talk to my new IC7610, so   wound up using my lightning bug
when running.

20/40 were the main bands.  75/15  were good for some mults, and 10m  only
produced 8 Q's.

160 seemed pretty good Fri & Sat night.  80 was ok.  40 was terrific into EU
all night. 20 was also great into EU  esp. Sun morning from presunrise through
noon when I took a break.  Figured the cndx were so solid on 20/40 that the
final 3-4 hrs on Sunday would be gangbusters.  Not so.   The Q's came slowly as
the contest wore down.  But my  nice runs Sat night into early Sunday morning
set me up with 500 Q's going into Sun pm.  Winding up with 567 Q's when I
thought for sure I had a shot at 600.

Still, not bad for an all-wire antenna farm aided by 800 watts.  It was
beautiful hearing the stations come back to my calls on the first try, with few
repeats.    This op is very pleased with how things turned out this year.

Plenty of JA's on 40/20. Oh BTW, my 15m antenna is my 20m 2 el phased array and
it nets plenty of contacts on the first call.  The 20m phased array  brought in
KH2's, JA's, VK6, ZL's despite the  switching relay  icing up and not working to
the North.  WHen it works, I see 4-5 S-units difference.  And when it doesnt, I
beam to the South and work plenty of stations.

Cndx to S.A.  were fair but not abundant.  Africa was slim.  EU gangbusters.
JA's plentiful.  VK/ZL/Pacific were better than theyve been in a while.  And
JA's wee prominent on 20/40.

Best DX Z60A, VK6, ZC0.