[3830] ARRLDX CW W7RM(K2PO) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 18 21:07:00 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W7RM
Operator(s): K2PO
Station: W7RM

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Oregon

   10:    3     1
-------------------
Total:  904   187  Total Score = 503,217

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Did "a boy and his radio" style contest this weekend - single radio,
low power, no assistance.  Ran out of stations to work towards the end, so
pulled the plug.  (I wonder if the Olympics drew some of the casual contesters
away from the radio.)

Good low band conditions: I had a 20 minute run of 16 JAs on 160m the first
night.  I can't remember anything like that before.

In a rarity, most of my QSOs were Europeans, rather than Asians (46% vs. 31%).
The European tally was aided by great runs on 20m each morning, with peak 60
minute rates of 132 on Saturday and 102 on Sunday.  (Credit to a few kind
European stations who spotted me, leading the hoards to my frequency.)  But 20m
died quickly each day, with no EUs worked outside a 4.5 hour window on Saturday,
and a 2:20 hour window on Sunday.

I tuned past the station who was CQing at 50 wpm or so, without giving him a
call.  I similarly doubt the ops who used odd cut numbers (e.g., "RR")
did their scores any favors.

I kept checking ten meters.  Three feeble traces appeared on the P3 panadapter -
all Hawaiians (2 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday).

It's a treat when a scarce mult comes back to a CQ.  Tnx to IS0XDA, EI4KN, OH0Z
and MD2C, and others, for spreading the DX joy.

'Always fun to return our club's legendary W7RM callsign to the air.  Rush
smiles...

73,

Bill, K2PO