[3830] ARRLDX CW W5ZN SOSB/80 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 18 22:32:30 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W5ZN
Operator(s): W5ZN
Station: W5ZN

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: AR

Total:  526    87  Total Score = 137,025

SOSB 80 at W5ZN this year as usual for ARRL DX CW. Conditions on 80 meters from
Arkansas to Europe were not good this weekend. No eastern EU or Russian stations
were heard Friday night and just a very few the second night. Usually there are
several. Condx to EU overall was poor. Weak signals with very rapid and deep QSB
made copy difficult. I finished the first night just after EU sunrise over 100
Q’s below my average for the first night. Amazingly condx to JA were excellent
and even though the QSB was severe I worked over 100 JA’s beginning almost 45
minutes earlier than average this year so this made up for the deficit the first
night, finishing just 18 Q’s and 1 mult lower than average. The second night
was very slow and not very much EU activity until EU SR but still below average
overall. Final score was very close to my average but well below the record
setting years. Thanks to all for the Q’s and for hanging in on the tough ones
I struggled with while battling the poor condx and QSB.