[3830] ARRLDX CW KH6J(@KH6YY) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 18 23:33:29 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KH6J
Operator(s): KH6U KH7U WH6R WH7W KH6SH KH6FP N2NL
Station: KH6YY

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Pupukea, Oahu

   40: 1668    59
   20: 1832    60
   15: 1354    57
   10:   71     9
-------------------
Total: 6290   298  Total Score = 5,609,850

Primary ops per band -
160: KH6U, KH7U
80: N2NL
40: KH6SH
20: WH6R, N2NL
15: WH7W, N2NL
10: KH6FP, WH7W

Thanks again to Alex for allowing all of us to operate from his beautiful
station above Pipeline Beach on the North Shore.  A lot of work continues to be
expended to maintain the station, with lots of volunteer hours by KH7U and KH6U
especially.  K7NV and K7PN left Saturday after assisting with the installation
of a new 2el 80m beam which replaces an older one which turned out to be just a
little too big for the environment.  The new beam was raised into place by
helicopter just a couple hours before the contest started.

This was the first time live scoring was used, to share information in a
head-to-head M/M battle against our good friends on the Big Island, Lloyd and
crew @ KH6LC.  This really increased the competitiveness of both teams in a
region where direct competition is difficult due to vast distances and limited
activity in the Pacific.  There was not an unfilled seat all weekend as everyone
tried their hardest to contribute their best.  Everyone had so much fun.  This
definitely won't be the last time we do this.

Rain is relatively common this time of year in Hawaii.  Thunderstorms are rare.
This weekend both KH6J and KH6LC were heavily affected by both.  At KH6J, we had
clear skies the first day but we could hear the static crashes from storms
overhead at KH6LC.  The second day was Oahu's turn with house-shaking thunder in
the very early morning hours during NA sunrise and again later in the morning
through the end of contest.  We never shut down for lightning but there was some
pucker factor.  KH6SH warned everyone "Don't lick the amplifiers!"
during the worst of it early Sunday morning.  Static would build to S9+++ before
the snap flash of lightning and then quickly build again.  Apologies for some
alligator ears the 2nd day as we tried pulling partial calls out from between
the crashes.  Oahu remains under a flash flood warning tonight.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the QSOs, and a warm Aloha to the awesome team
at KH6LC who really made this into a special weekend.

For the team,
73, Dave N2NL/KH6