[3830] ARRLDX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 19 00:50:38 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA

  160:    0     0
   80:   14     6
   10:    8     3
-------------------
Total:  248   107  Total Score = 79,608

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  40-80 Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials
I was delighted to be able to work into Europe especially well on Satuday
morning on 20 M.  I had 40 Qs into Europe in 18 different countries. I also had
1 European Q on 15 (Azores) and one on 40 Meters (Azores).

The 20 M opening to Europe was very odd. The band was not packed with QRM like
it usually is and it was pretty easy to copy the Euro stations. And stations
came back on the first or second call. I even worked weak stations that I
ordinarily never call.  Very strange.

My biggest achievements were getting WAC on 40 M in 17 minutes and working TI7W
on 80 M. It took me 2 yrs to get WAC on 40 the first time (same equipment) and I
rarely get out of the USA-VE on 80.

I was rather aggravated by several stations who sent Ts for power. One station
was sending 3 Ts.  I assumed it was a KW. Another was sending 2 Ts, and I
assumed it was 100 watts. Another was sending a single T.  Is that supposed to
be 10 watts?? I just entered T into the power place and hoped for the best.  Is
it so hard to send normal cut numbers?  I heard others ask for a repeat and the
op just repeated the T or Ts.

My DXCC was 56 (adding 2 for W-VE) and my WAZ was 21 (adding zones 3 & 4).
This compares to 70 and 24 from last year. ...and I once got DXCC in this
contest!

It is always fun.  Even with a bad cold that kept me in bed and feeling lousy
for more than I wished! But I made sure I was on for the best times!

Thanks to Kurt who QSY'd to 15 to give me the VP9/W6PH mult on that band.
THANKS Kurt!!

C U all in ARRL DX SSB.   Bill  W8QZA - W6QU