[3830] ARRLDX CW K3EL SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 19 10:26:48 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K3EL
Operator(s): K3EL
Station: K3EL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Princeton, NJ

   20: 1157    96
Total: 2093   333  Total Score = 2,081,916

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Good to get back to ARRL DX CW, after being unavailable for the contest for the
last couple of years. Looking back at the log for my last entry in 2015 there
were long runs with great rates on 15 and 10. Clearly, the strategy was going to
be different three years on, with just quick raids on 15 and 10 for multipliers.
Even so, I was surprised just how bad 15 was from here, with many EU mults
missing from the log.

It started snowing here early on Saturday evening, a wet, sticky snow. The trees
and antennas looked beautiful with thick snow on them, but the heavy
accumulation on the 80 m delta loop completely detuned the antenna such that it
was no longer usable. Eventually I got to the point where 40 and 160 were worked
out and producing only a Q every 5 min or so, and decided that an
earlier-than-planned sleep was a good option. The snow melted off the antenna on
Sunday morning, and resonance returned to 3525 kHz. Note to self: Before next
winter, attach long cord to the 80 m delta loop so that I can pull on it
vigorously from the shack to shake off accumulating snow!

As usual, thanks to my XYL for providing refreshments at the radio.

K3S/Acom 2000a
Steppir @ 42' - 3 ele 10-20 M and dipole 40 m (with fixed wire director in the
trees for 40 m towards EU), 80 m delta loop, 160 m inv-L
SAL-30 shared apex loop RX antenna
N1MM logger+

Go FRC!