[3830] ARRLDX CW GM5X(GM4YXI) SOSB/20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 19 10:33:47 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: GM5X
Operator(s): GM4YXI
Station: GM4YXI

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Ellon

   20: 1025    59
Total: 1025    59  Total Score = 177,000

Club: North of Scotland CG

Comments:

Good fun! Late start Saturday, a bit after midday and already a struggle to find
a run frequency. First two hours were pretty wild with good pile ups, key clicks
and buzzing signals form the East. Then my T/R switching failed and I was QRT
for 1.5 hours until I discovered a blown voltage regulator and figured out a
work around. Band was still good when I got back. Finished day with around 600Q
and 55 mults.
Sunday was slow to get going but it picked up nicely with all the same QRM, more
frequency fights (I never fail to be amazed at what folks will try to get your
frequency) but never much of a pile up, and then we started to get auroral
signals and the more western guys just fizzled out.
I missed out on VE4 and VO2 as well as NU and NT. Some fabulous signals from
W7-land while it was open. Could hear OH's running US long after the band closed
with me but could not hear a thing they worked!
Nice to get a decent bit of contest chair time after a quiet spell.........
73 and thanks for all the QSOs.
Keith GM4YXI