[3830] NAQP RTTY K2AV Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 25 01:37:18 EST 2018

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: K2AV
Operator(s): K2AV
Station: K2AV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NC

   40:  18     14
Total:  18     14  Total Score = 252

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

First time in my life I have been on RTTY. Never, ever done it before.

The goal was to get a few contacts and give PVRC participant multiplier. Had the
time in the afternoon. Started after a late lunch.

Was a 7 hour struggle to get it working. Tnx N3HEE helping out at one point,
said to use AFSK instead of FSK D. Kept me from giving up, so he gets part
credit for the participation multiplier :>) However...

Turns out my computer motherboard sound card does not have Line Out. Wound up
using the headphone output on PC front panel. My Antivirus security program
would not let sound streams leave the computer, a guard against someone taking
over my Skype camera and spying on me. Had to turn that off. An hour running
down exactly how to turn that off. Many other snafus from my total ignorance of
RTTY stuff, settings, connections on anything.

Will have to get the setup working slick for the next time, and use FSK TX
through com port to the MicroHam box to get the PTT timing, and a clean TX
signal.

Oh yeah and didn't have a function key file for RTTY either. Was clear RTTY's
file would only mildly resemble the CW.

But we muddled through this time. Subtle differences in N1MM+ treatment for CW
and RTTY. I'm sure that's settings also.

Finally managed a contact at 0523Z.

K3 @ 80w, Inv L over FCP, MMTTY/N1MM+