[3830] CQ160 SSB K7HKR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 25 09:50:47 EST 2018

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 16  State/Prov = 7  Countries = 1  Total Score = 256

100 watts, 7-foot (2.1-meter) diameter magnetic loop from AZ, centered at 16
feet (5 meters)

I had recently done a few upgrades to my "large" small transmitting
loop, and those worked well.  I had to set up the antenna in a snow shower, but
that cleared up by the time I got on the air with clear weather both nights.

My loop has a predicted efficiency of 0.5% at 1850 kHz, so I was working with an
ERP lower than most QRP stations.  I had only made one QSO on 160 before this
contest, so I couldn't do much worse than that.

The main highlights were completing WABS, i.e., "worked all border
states" (CA, NV, UT, CO, and NM), and rather easily working the one Idaho
station I heard.

It was rare to hear anyone working much rate for more than a few minutes, so
while I was immensely grateful for the stations that had to stick with me for a
minute or three to get my call, I didn't have to feel too guilty for wasting
their time with my little patio antenna.