[3830] CQ160 SSB M7Q(G4PIQ) Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 26 02:49:44 EST 2018

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: M7Q
Operator(s): G4PIQ
Station: G4PIQ

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: JO02RF
Operating Time (hrs): 9h 42m

Total:  QSOs = 505  State/Prov = 12  Countries = 54  Total Score = 169,752

Came on Saturday evening with the intent of a little having fun running a pile
for a few hours. After 4 hours and a little over 300 QSOs I thought I might just
get up for sunrise and see if I could add a few more states. Did that &
thought - this score isn't going to win anything - but I could just add a bit to
make it respectable - so came back battled on with another 4.5 hours of the
Sunday evening death throws of the event. With roughly 10 hours of operating,
only the last 2 got rather tedious as I ran out of new meat.

I thought conditions were relatively poor - and it looks like the first night
was the better to North America when I was not QRV. No Asian DX worked - but
some nice highlights of S01WS calling me and working PJ4G, YV1KK, TO3Z, KV4FZ.
Surprised to see some of these folks were Low Power - given my poor Rx antennas.
US conditions on the Sunday morning our time were odd - many of the more
Northerly 'usual-suspects' were inaudible here, and, apart from Jeff, VY2ZM, the
standout NA signal was from W8ALP, but VE3PN was also a decent signal.

With no advance plans to have done the contest I had no Rx antennas - not great.
I only used a low Inv-L and a low inv-V dipole. Interesting that the dipole was
often better - even on the longer paths - especially around / after sunrise. At
US sunset, the Inv-L was much better.

Rig : K3 + Ten Tec Titan, 400W
Ant : Inv-L @ 18m + Inv-V Dipole @ 18m

73