[3830] TBDC ON7EH Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 2 09:15:47 EST 2018

Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: ON7EH
Operator(s): ON7EH
Station: ON7EH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Machelen
Operating Time (hrs): 13:12

Total:  QSOs = 363  Total Score = 2,324

Club: NBT Grimbergen

Comments:

The desire to participate to the annual TBDC was high, after missing the CQWW CW
contest.
The large effort to (yearly) put the topband antennas in place, started with the
farmer granting permission to use his chicory field, just one week prior to SP.

This tight schedule allowed hardly margin for error.
The WX was never cooperative; wet, windy and freezing cold at times.

The 160m station:
-TRX: K3/100 + KAT500
-TX-antenna: quarterwave 15m high inverted L sloping down to 11m + UNUN
-Rx-antennas: 3 non-terminated ~100m long Beverages at190m away from the cellar
shack. (the Bev noise levels were ~3 K3 S-units down compared to the
Tx-antenna)

Wind gusts of 80km/h were frequent on Sunday morning and produced
"natural" QSB on both Tx and Rx signals, making copy difficult at
times, requiring multiple repeats...:-(

Luckily, the 3-level guyed Spiderpole (Tx antenna) withstood the memorial
event.
However, the help of the XYL was required to bring it down during 60km/h gusts.

This event produced several highlights:
-the high participation worldwide
-being called by the W1BB memorial station
-working the other memorial station NA7TB (Tnx for staying with me!)
-the good Sunday morning propagation, helping to get the missing call/grid parts
through the QSB for the patient QSO-partner!
-working my 2m EME elmer Dave, K1WHS (Lionel, VE7BQH is the other one)

Furthest DX worked in the:
-NE: R9GM, UA9LDD, RA4HPI
-W: NP2J
-NW: NA7TB (ODX), N5XZ, NR5M, K5RX.
The # of stations worked was topped by 20% compared to last year.

My "thank you" to all stations worked with this power level and 160m
setup!
To everyone: my best 2018 ham-wishes!

73,

Michel, ON7EH