[3830] NAQP CW N8II Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 14 15:49:06 EST 2018

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV

   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total:  989   214  Total Score = 211,646

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC NORTHWEST/DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

Comments:

NAQP CW has a life of its own, incredible activity! QSO's were limited by long
skip zones from 40M up, but 80 and 160 were about as good as they could possibly
get! Short skip into 2's, 3's,VA, and OH on 80 is fairly rare by 24Z-06Z. I feel
fairly certain the minor disturbance enabled/enhanced the opening while also
possibly improving longer distances. I took off about 10 minutes to break the
pile up on TZ4AM on 160 and TA3D was CQ'ing weakly very near my 160 run freq.
160 activity was at an all time high for NAQP and unlike the nasty Stew, the
west coast was readable with strong signals from CO/UT eastward. I never
imagined that 80/160 would perform so well.

15 was also a pleasant surprise, but as usual CA was marginal and spotty as were
WA/OR. Some signals from TX/NM north to ID were quite loud. 20 was long, but
open from FL/MS/MO/MN westward. I think I missed WI on 20. Biggest surprises
were being called by XE and NL on 80. I also had better luck being heard on
backscatter on 15/20/40M than usual. Thanks to all for digging me out including
Bud, AA3B who always hears my low power signal even when 15M is barely open.

I was able to run on 15 and 20, but never at a high rate for more than a few
minutes. CA was not loud until around sunset on 20. 40 never opened to
VA/MD/PA/NJ/eastern OH which hurts the score. The first 4 hours were S&P
about half the tine, pretty exhausting. I almost quit around dinner time, but
glad I stuck with it.

I forgot about actually pushing op time to 10 hours per rules (actual time on
about 25-30 minutes less), so my last 2 minutes of Q's will not count (claimed
scored adjusted) when I worked 7 stations on 80 and finished with 2 more
callers unworked. It was fun once the low bands got going, great relief from
winter cold doldrums. Thanks for all of the QSO's; a few had to wait out for
louder callers, but tried to leave no one out. The casual acitivty on 80/160 was
absolutely incredible, about 1/4-1/3 of 80M Q's were not worked on higher
bands.
My score is by far a personal best for me as were mults/Q's on 80/160.

73, Jeff