[3830] NAQP SSB W4PK Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Jan 20 20:52:13 EST 2018

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 4:37

   80:    8     5
   15:    5     3
Total:  100    49  Total Score = 4,900

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC Southwest Virginia Team #1

Comments:

I found out just before the contest started that my external sound card that I
use with my headset's boom mic was intermittent. It would occasionally work but
then it would quit.  After a couple of hours of troubleshooting I finally gave
up.  I resorted to using a desk mic plus a couple of recorded memories in my
ICOM 7800 (set at 100W) for sending my call and "Sam in Virginia".
All my contacts were made by search and pounce.

When I went to 80 where I have both a dipole and a four-square I noticed that
signals were weaker than usual but I did manage to work a couple of stations.
However, several others I had called just kept on CQing.  Upon checking the VSWR
I found that it was approaching the "infinity" range for both
antennas!  I will look into what is happening later on this week.

I have an 80M dipole cut for 3550kHz on another tower so I used that one with
the 7800's antenna tuner enabled and made another six contacts. I then called it
quits as I was developing a splitting headache from trying to pull out calls,
names and states from all the interference.  SSB is my least favorite mode
anyway.

73, Sam W4PK