[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1TO Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 22 12:48:31 EST 2018

                    ARRL January VHF Contest

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EL87
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  68     40
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  68     40  Total Score = 2,720

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Conventional wisdom is that FT8 has taken over the world, but here is my QSO
breakdown:  FT8-23  MSK144-37  CW-4  SSB-4

It was one year ago during this event that I tried digital, specifically MSK144,
for the first time ever on any mode or band.  Thanks to K1JT for opening up a
whole new world for so many of us.

The highlights were working W8VYM on his dipole in EM82 up in GA (after nearly
10,000 QSOs on 6M in the last 5 years, I had never even heard EM82) and the
Saturday evening MSK144 activity that allowed K1TOL and K1SIX among a dozen
out-of-staters to be worked.  Fascinating to me how the range for scatter QSOs
seems to exactly match the range for one-hop Es.

Unlike those to the north, there are essentially zero rovers to work down here
(sorry I missed Sandra and Steve altogether) when there is no Es.

I took the ALL.TXT file out of WSJT-X and crunched it in Excel.  Between the two
digital modes and after eliminating a small bit of junk data, 211 different
calls in 93 grids were decoded.  Reality is that some of those were one-time
only decodes and a QSO was not possible.  On the transmit side, I called 96
different stations, so working 60 of them is a much better conversion rate than
I perceived it would be.  The weakest signals decoded were -24 in FT8 and -8 in
MSK144.

IC-7300, Commander, 6M7JHV @ 55'

Hoping to improve the antenna array and feedline situation in the coming months.
 Hoping for a terrific June Es month!

vy 73, Dan