[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1RZ Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jan 24 08:04:53 EST 2018

                    ARRL January VHF Contest

Call: K1RZ
Operator(s): K1RZ
Station: K1RZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MDC

  1.2:   45    17
  2.3:   26    12
  3.4:   15     9
  5.7:    9     8
  10G:    8     8
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  643   209  Total Score = 315,172

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Good contest. WX warmed up a lot from what we had seen the last few weeks. Lots
of Rovers were out and the rest of us fixed station so appreciate that. Rovers
in my log include N9ZL/R, KD3PD/R, K8GP/R, NN3Q/R, N2SLN/R, W3ICC/R, KF2MR/R,
W2RMA/R, AB4CR/R, K2ET/R, KM3G/R, K6PFA/R, VA3ELE/R and VE3OIL/R.  Thanks to you
Rovers as you drive the excitement level to remain high right to the end of the
contest, while we all try to track you.  Over all propagation conditions seemed
average, generally speaking.  Worked VO1KVT on 6m E-Skip.  And heard later I
missed a big Florida E-Skip opening.   Also still working on a good balance
between calling CQ's, using Chat Pages, plus SSB, CW, MSK144 and FT8 - all the
tools in the tool box. I am relatively new to MSK and FT8. What an amazing tool
this is.  Thanks Joe Taylor and the WSJT Team.  I will concentrate next time on
using some WSJT modes above 2 meters.  And a point that I can't stress enough.
We know the Rovers generally don't have the internet connection to chat pages -
particularly on some mountain tops, so we fixed stations have to be calling CQ
and tuning to find them. Otherwise the band may seem "quiet" to them,
and then their interest may decrease. Not a good thing.      In the end my score
increased 50% from last year.   It was great to hear the regular operators plus
a number of new operators on the bands too.   Thanks again to all for being on.
And to ARRL for sponsoring this great contest event.   73,  Dave  K1RZ   FM19jh