[3830] NAQP SSB K3CCR M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jan 24 11:48:55 EST 2018

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM W3GB
Station: K3CCR

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: MD

Total:  492   149  Total Score = 73,308

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC.

N3UM and W3GB operated Multi-2 in Jan. ’18 NAQP SSB. 15 and 20 m.
were long and slow at the start. N3UM got 19 Qs and 13 mults
including 4 NA countries tuning on 15, and then switched to
work the first 1.5 hr. of ARRL VHF.  W3GB got 45 Qs on 20 m.
and then went to 40 m, which was slow and noisy then and also
after 01Z when he tried it again; disappointing.

20 m. was a bit better 2030-22Z when we got 70 Qs.  Our best
results by far were on 80 m., running and tuning; 207 Qs starting
2245Z. We were also pleased to get 57 Qs on 160, ME to GA and MD
to TX in our last 2 hr. before QRT at 0508.  On all bands we got
6 VE provinces and 46 states & DC, all but RI, DE, ID, and NE.

Compared with CW NAQP we got 2/3 as many Qs, 3/4 as many mults,
and so half the claimed score.  No SSB skimmer so fewer spots,
and the higher sig/noise required for SSB, made the difference.