[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KM4KMU SO FM LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Jan 27 10:31:34 EST 2018

                    ARRL January VHF Contest

Call: KM4KMU
Operator(s): KM4KMU
Station: KM4KMU

Class: SO FM LP
QTH: FN00RG

    6:   1      1
    2:  34      8
  222:   3      3
  432:  10      3
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  48     15  Total Score = 915

Since I could not get clearance in time from the National Radio Astronomy
Observatory to operate in the National Radio Quiet Zone (they eventually came
through with an OK on Thursday before the contest) I decided to operate from
FN00RG, the Blue Knob ski resort outside Altoona Pa.

I had high hopes for this site.  Being a 150 miles further north with a great
line of sight I should be able to reach grids in NY, NJ, Ohio, along with much
of PA, Va, Md and have a much larger population of hams to work.  I had 22 grids
inside my demonstrated range from this altitude and several major population
centers (Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Philly, DC, Richmond etc).  With some
luck I might even be able to reach a VE or two.

I got there Friday night and did a quick survey of the croweded parking lot up
top with my mobile radio and omni's.  Noise was S7 at my desired spot on the
crest from the flood lights on the slopes and the ski lift motors.  The flood
lights in the parking lot and noisy ignitions from all the cars were a problem
too.  I settled for a spot 20 feet below the crest to the south on the edge of
the lot midway between two flood lights.  I had a long metal roofed building to
my north well above my antennas blocking signals from the NW, N and NE.

Two hours into the contest the XYL rolled up (we rented a room at the Inn a mile
down the road) and after looking over the location she announced "I think
your going to get skunked".  She was right.

Highlights of the contest:

1) WB3CEH cued up a big group hams on a nearby frequency and acted as a
controller passing them over to me to prevent a pile up.  Most had me 20 over
S9.  I only heard two of them. Most were in valleys and noise prevented me from
picking up the signals.

2) W4JST set up his mobile rig with an antenna trailer outside Richmond VA and
we did a 194 FM QSO.

3) K3QNT, a director for a local FM rock station after making an exchange drove
up to my site and interviewed me for a spot on the Monday news that aired on the
hour from 0800 to 1200 local.  He sent me a nice audio file too.

4) When I set up Saturday morning it was very cold with winds gusting around
50mph.  The mast went up easily and was super stable.  The manual rotator was
smooth as butter and turned easily.  The aerodynamic balance of the 12 foot
beams around the mast was almost perfect.

I did some SSB contacts with contesting stations that had limited FM and to kill
the boredom.

SSB  QSO  Pts  Multi
6M    3    3    2
2M    7    7    5
70cm  3    6    10
     13   16    10  (160)

Around 2300 local the lift shut down, the lot emptied, the lights went off and
the noise fell silent.  So did FM.  I packed it up the next morning and had a
great day with the XYL antiquing and visiting relatives.

It was fun, not what I expected, but that happens.  All in all it was a great
weekend and it was nice to be outside of the DC metro area for a few days with
the XYL.  Lots of points and multi's scored there.

Thanks to all who tried and to those who made the scheds and coordinated with
me.  I hope you had a lot better luck than I did.

73

-- KM4KMU